The Oklahoma Institute for Child Advocacy and Oklahoma City University are partnering to host “Child Advocacy 360: Creating an outdoor voice for children.” The event features expert panels who will share their insight and advice regarding pressing children’s issues and policies impacting Oklahoma children and families. Attendees will pose questions to the panel experts, and participate in interactive table discussions and issue voting.
Oklahoma City University will also launch their new bullying prevention program, “Bullying 360,” and the OICA will unveil the newest KIDS COUNT Policy Brief on Early Childhood Development.
Seating is limited so be sure to register early to make sure you don’t miss out!
- November 6: 9:00am-3:00pm
- November 7: 9:00am-3:00pm
Location: McDaniel University Center, Great Hall, Oklahoma City University (2501 N. Blackwelder Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73106)
Lodging: Please contact contact Bob Spinks (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information on discounted hotel rates.
Parking: Free parking is provided by the United Way of Central Oklahoma (1444 NW 28th St, Oklahoma City, OK 73106) with a complimentary shuttle available to transport attendees directly to the meeting site. Handicap parking is available at Oklahoma City University (contact email@example.com for more details).
- Nov. 6 only – $60
- Nov. 7 only – $60
- Nov. 6 and 7 – $100
8:00-9:00 am Registration
9:00-9:15 am Opening remarks
9:15-11:45am Children’s Issues Panel
- Access to Health Care/Poverty: David Blatt, Director, Oklahoma Policy Institute
- Child Health and Safety: Dr. John Stuemky, Chief Child Abuse Examiner, OU Medical Center
- Child Welfare Reform: Deborah Smith, Director of Child Welfare Services, Oklahoma Dept. of Human Services
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse: Terri White, Commissioner, Oklahoma Dept. of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
- Education: Brian Hunt, Executive Director, Stand for Children Oklahoma
- Early Childhood Development: TBA
11:45 am Lunch – KIDS COUNT Early Childhood Policy Brief
1:00-2:00 pm Legislative Panel
- Senator A.J. Griffin (R-District 20)
- Representative Jason Nelson (R-District 87)
- Representative Joe Dorman (D-District 65)
2:00-3:00 pm Interactive Table Discussions and Issue Voting
3:00 pm Wrap up
9:00 Opening remarks, Honorable Stephen Friot, Federal Judge for the Western District of Oklahoma
10:15 am Creating a common understanding of bullying
12:30 pm Lunch – Creating a collaborative approach to solving the problem
1:40 pm Tools for Action – Getting to work with solutions
2:40 pm Closing session