2020 OICA Fall Forum Complete!
Watch Day 1 of the Fall Forum on our Facebook page!
Days 2, 3, and 4 coming soon!
The 2020 OICA Fall Forum was from Monday, November 16 through Thursday, November 19. This year, the event was conducted 2 to 4 hours a day, remotely across the Zoom platform to keep everyone safe and to facilitate participation from across the state.
2020 OICA Fall Forum
Alice Through the Virtual Looking Glass – Adapting with Technology to Childhood Issues
Monday, November 16th 10:00-12:00
- 10:00-11:00 – Opening Session for Fall Forum & Award Ceremony with Joe Dorman (CEO of the Oklahoma Institute for Child Advocacy) and Mitchell Rozin (Board President- OICA)
- 11:00-11:30 Workshop 1: The Impact of Covid-19 on Children in Foster Care Campaign with Dr. Deb Shropshire (Director of Child Welfare, Oklahoma Department of Human Services)
- 11:30-12:00 Workshop 2: Food Insecurity with Jessica Dietrich (Policy & Government Relations Manager, Hunger Free Oklahoma) & Bailey Perkins (State Advocacy and Public Policy Director, Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma)
Tuesday, November 17th 9:00-1:00
- 9:00-10:00 Panel Discussion with Lawmakers about the 2021 Legislative Session with Representative Carol Bush, Senator Carri Hicks, Senator John Michael Montgomery, Representative Ajay Pittman, and Representative Mark Lawson
- 10:00-10:30 Workshop 3: Virtual Learning Issues with Jena Nelson (Oklahoma Teacher of the Year) and Cecilia Robinson-Woods (Superintendent of Millwood Public Schools, President of Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association Board, former OICA Board Member)
- 10:30-11:00 Workshop 4: Federal Updates with Jasmine Jones (Policy Analyst, Partnership for America’s Children)
- 11:00-11:30- Workshop 5: Tobacco Prevention Education with Julie Bisbee (Executive Director, TSET) & Christin Kirchenbauer (State Department of Health)
- 11:30-12:00 Workshop 6: Post Census Updates with Amy O’Hara (Research Professor Director, Georgetown Federal Statistical Research Data Center)
- 12:00-1:00 Resilience Panel Discussion (Showing of “Resilience: The Biology of Stress & the Science of Hope” will be available 8:00 a.m. Saturday, November 14th through 11:00 p.m., Monday, November 16th for attendees to watch at their convenience)
- Moderator: Craig Knutson (CEO, Potts Family Foundation).
- Panelists: Senator Carri Hicks, Cheryl Step (Licensed Counselor/Training and Consulting Trauma Informed Care Expert at Creating Resilience, LLC), and Dr. Jennifer Hays-Grudo, (Professor, Oklahoma State University & Director, Center for Integrative Research on Childhood Adversity)
Wednesday, November 18th 9:30-2:00
- 9:30-11:00 Policy Development for OICA’s Legislative Agenda (choose from one of four breakout issue sessions)
- 2020: Welcome to the New World with Heath Hayes (Senior Director, Communications and Strategic Engagement at ODMHSAS) and Julia Jernigan (Executive Director, Oklahoma Behavioral Health Association)
- Economic Challenges for Families (TBD)
- Student Health & Well-Being in Schools with Dr. Peter Messiah (Director, Oklahoma Association of Youth Services)
- Health Care & Insurance with Michelle Sutton, Lobbyist/Attorney.
- 11:00-12:00 Supreme Court Oversight Committee on Children (TBD)
- 12:00-1:00 Keynote Speaker during Lunch with Rhett Laubach
- 1:00-2:00- Workshop 7: Cyber Crimes & Protecting Children with Rachell Savory (Special Agent, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation) and Larissa Hines (Child Abuse Pediatrician and Fostering Hope Pediatrician, The Children’s Hospital at OU Medicine)
Thursday, November 19th 9:00-11:00
- 9:00-10:00- Closing Panel with the Trauma-Informed Care Task Force with Annette Jacobi (Executive Director, Oklahoma Commission on Children and Youth), Dr. Jennifer Hayes-Grudo (Professor, Oklahoma State University & Director, Center for Integrative Research on Childhood Adversity), and Dwight Sublett (Pediatrician & President of the Oklahoma Chapter American Academy of Pediatrics)
- 10:00-10:45 Final Report on Legislative Agenda with Heath Hayes (Senior Director, Communications and Strategic Engagement at ODMHSAS), Julia Jernigan (Executive Director, Oklahoma Behavioral Health Association), Carly Putnam (Policy Director, Health Care Policy Analyst with Oklahoma Policy Institute), Dr. Peter Messiah (Director, Oklahoma Association of Youth Services), Natalie Jones (Regional Advisor, Youth Villages)
- 10:45-11:15 Closing Remarks – Joe Dorman, CEO-OICA and Lt. Gov. Matt Pinnell